Meet Sami – “My Top Tips To Combat Winter’s ‘Dry Skin’ Effect”
The nights are darker, the winds are bitter and our heating is on full blast… it’s official… winter’s here! The combination of internal heating and colder winds outside can bring up dry skin issues. Sami Lind, our Skin Therapist from the Pitt Street clinic, gives us some advice on relieving winter’s skin-drying effect for all genders, ages and skin types:
1. Make sure you’re using a gentle cleanser. It’s more important now than ever to use a gentle cleanser that maintains your skin’s healthy oil balance. It doesn’t matter if you have dry or oily skin, your cleanser should wash away dirt, makeup and excess oil without stripping the skin of its necessary and natural oils. You By Sia’s ‘Delicate Clenz’ is great, as it gently removes makeup and surface build-up, while infusing it with a potent blend of vitamins and antioxidants. Another important tip is the temperature of the water you use to cleanse your face. It may be tempting (especially in this weather!) to turn up the hot water, but try to keep it tepid. When combined with colder weather, warm water will further dry your skin out.
2. Watch what you eat. I know it’s tempting to reach out for naughty comfort foods when it’s colder out, but try to opt for meals and snacks rich in Omega 3 instead. Foods like nuts, seeds, avocado and salmon are all great sources of Omega 3, and is a great and simple way to keep skin healthy and nourished from the inside out.
3. Switch up your skincare regimen. During winter, think about switching up your skin routine. When it was more humid in the summer our skin naturally becomes more oily and dewy, so there’s less need for extra hydration. In winter, I advise my clients to switch onto a more intense serum to improve their skin’s hydration, both morning and night – especially if they have dry skin. I would recommend our ‘Alleviate AM and PM’ serums to help support skin balance and hydration with a complex of vitamins, amino acids and minerals.
4. Slip, slop, slap. Rain, shine, hot or cold, it is still vitally important to protect the skin from harmful UVA and UVB rays. ‘Minc’ is our cosmeceticual-grade zinc moisturiser, and works to hydrate the skin, while protecting it from harsh and drying environmental factors like the sun and wind.
5. It’s not all about the face. Winter is my favourite time to take long, steamy showers and relaxing hot baths, but (like I said before) hot water drastically dries out our skin. This can leave skin tight, taut and uncomfortable. To avoid this, cocoon your skin with our ‘Enhance Body Lotion’. Enhance is designed to penetrate the skin and replenish lipids. When the skin is lacking in lipids is becomes tight and dry.
6. Hydrate your insides too. Last but by no means least…drink up! By drinking more water over winter, you will feel hydrated and look it too! The largest organ in the body is the skin, so it is vitally important to quench its thirst.
Click here for more information on any of the You By Sia products mentioned, or check out one of our five skincare clinics located in Bondi Junction, Sydney CBD, Castle Hill and St.Ives.